Azure Dreams PS1 (De-)Randomizer
To use this site, first put your BIN file into the top box. Next, choose whatever options you want to use. If you cannot change any options, either a preset is selected (uncheck "Preset" to change options) or the link you clicked contained a seed (in which case you should use the same settings as the other person). Now click Randomize and a new BIN file will be created.
If the seed name is appended to your randomized image filename after downloading, you will need create a new CUE file using the Create CUE button (or modify your CUE file track listing to reference the new filename).
Do not overwrite your original BIN file; keep it somewhere safe or you may need to obtain it again from your original disc.
The (de-)randomizer sets the each floor layout based off of the floor number, number of climbs up the tower, and a random seed. As such, each trip up the tower should be unique but consistent with anyone else using the same seed.
Various randomization and other options are also available, but only tutorial and intro skips are enabled under the "Safe" preset.
This (de-)randomizer is a fan project and is not affiliated with Konami/KCET, the developer and publisher of Azure Dreams. Please support the official release.
- Azure Dreams PS1 Encyclopedia, a compendium of facts about the game (unit stats, etc).
- Azure Dreams GBC (De-)randomizer, a tool for the GBC version.
- Azure Dreams Speedruns, an AD discord server. All are welcome, from casual fans to speedrunners.
- SotN Randomizer, from which this project is derived. (under the terms of the WTFPL - thanks Wild Mouse).
- Sustainna, for creating the site's icon, favicon, and 404 page image.
- Mozilla Public License 2.0, the license under which this software is released.
- When randomizing starting items or eggs, the eggs of evolved monsters or Kewne will appear in-game as just " egg" [sic].
- In seeded tower mode, initial monster spawns after the event on floor 31 are not consistent.
- In seeded tower mode, initial monster spawns vary based on the number of collared familiars.
- In seeded tower mode, initial spawns can vary depending on whether or not there are 2+ wind crystals in the inventory.
- Some monster ability names start with the wrong letter of the alphabet.
Please report any other issues, especially inconsistent spawns of a given floor on the same trip up the tower (when seeded tower is enabled) using GitHub issues or the #randomizer channel in the Azure Dreams Speedruns discord. Please be clear whether you are referring to the PS1 or GBC version of the game.
- v3.7.0 Added a tool to customize monster spawns, which allows you to specify which monsters appear on each floor, at what level, and with what frequency. You could fill the tower with a more carefully balanced mix of monsters than simply randomizing would result in, or you could fill the tower with nothing but Pickets if you want. Also made some improvements to randomizing appearances; the option is still highly unstable, but might last longer before crashing.
- v3.6.0 Added a simple template selector and movement view mode to custom floor editor. Together, these can allow players to easily view and see how to navigate the various pre-defined floor 1 layouts. Corrected a bug that prevented Koh's stats from being viewable in the encyclopedia using the link provided in the unit index. Added a floors section to the encyclopedia to help players and commentators quickly see which monsters and eggs can be found on particular floors.
- v3.5.2 Fixed issue where trap customizations would not load from seed URLs. Note that seed URLs with spell randomization on generated prior to this patch will no longer work as expected, as that flag has been changed from 'r' to 'R'. Provided that the seed URL doesn't have a checksum, you can manually update this and the seed URL will work once again. Fixed a bug where the elements of monster spells would always match the monster's default element.
- v3.5.1 Marked the below option as highly unstable, as it can result in crashes.
- v3.5.0 Added option to randomize monster appearances. See tooltip on option for more information.
- v3.4.0 Added an option to randomize monster spells. Added an option to allow Koh to push and attempt to pick up all monsters.
- v3.3.0 Added STARS tournament preset, and renamed existing tournament preset. Changed URL structure of units guide pages to get rid of the need for frames and added page for damage calculation. Fixed 404 page.
- v3.2.1 Added details on stat calculation to the guide.
- v3.2.0 Added an online guide to the game. It primarily has information about units at the moment, but it will be expanded over time. Added an option to change or randomize Koh's element. To see which element Koh has if you have chosen Random, attack an enemy without using mix-magic or an elemental weapon and observe the color and style of explosion produced.
- v3.1.0 Added version, seed URL, and timestamp to CUE files generated by the site. If you are submitting a run to the leaderboards and don't copy the seed URL at the time of seed generation, just open the CUE file as a text file to retrieve this info. Fixed how seed URLs are generated and loaded when a checksum isn't available. Fixed a minor issue with copying/pasting palettes in the custom palettes editor.
- v3.0.1 Changing spritesheet no longer changes active colorway if an extra colorway is selected.
- v3.0.0 Added support for palettes beyond the four basic palettes in the custom palette editor. These extra palettes are used for things like projectiles, effects, dark Pulunpas, etc. This required a changed to the format of custom palettes such that old versions are not compatible with the current version of the randomizer. Added support for copying/pasting palettes. Added support for viewing additional sprite sheets.
- v2.7.0 (Hopefully) fixed a bug that caused checksum matching to fail. Added a new feature to improve accessibility, an editor to create custom color palettes for monsters in the tower. This is especially helpful when using the option "Randomize enemy elements". For a thorough description of the tool, open the custom palettes editor and click "Help".
- v2.6.0-beta3 Fixed bugs with item and trap statuses. Added help page.
- v2.6.0-beta2 Waypoints can now be edited in custom floors. Fixed bugs in custom floor generation.
- v2.6.0-beta Custom floors are now supported enough for testing in game, as only waypoints are not editable via the GUI. To test, go to the custom floor editor, import a predefined floor JSON file (links in #randomizer on the Discord), then make your changes. When you're done, click "Export file", return to this page, then select that file as the custom floor file in the options before clicking Randomize.
- v2.6.0-preview7 Custom floor: added support for changing elevators, items, traps, and monsters, though the apply mode does not yet apply these. Added packing routine as a proof of concept, but this does not integrate with the randomizer and thus only exports the floor itself. Fixed some misnamed tiles which caused some maps to look incorrect.
- v2.6.0-preview6 New option for fixing minor bugs. Added a page that catalogs all known bugs in the original game.
- v2.6.0-preview5 CustomFloors: Made 'unk' value (seemingly relative height) show on doors.
- v2.6.0-preview4 CustomFloors: Made doors take precedence over room tiles, since they seem to actually be more like waypoints for monster AI and can appear in the interior of rooms.
- v2.6.0-preview3 Added the site's icon, and added a fun 404 page (thanks to Sustainna for the image).
- v2.6.0-preview2 Added a few more view modes to the custom floor editor, hotkeys A/S for changing between Select and Apply modes, support for turning random spawns on and off, and changed color scheme. Some behind the scenes fixes and improvements.
- v2.6.0-preview1 Added a custom floor editor, which is a work in progress. You can only edit tiles right now (not items, traps, elevators, or rooms), and the repacking utility needs to be re-written into JS and added to the site. It is being released as a preview to gather feedback and gauge interest.
- v2.5.1 Directly modified floor layouts for fast tutorial floor and 2nd floor (when second tower enabled). As a result, you'll now actually see the elevator on the first step when fast tutorial floor is enabled. When the second tower is enabled, the elevator to the second tower will always be visible on the Ghosh/Selfi floor (before it would only appear if Ghosh appeared).
- v2.5.0 Added option to make trap selection closely match trap options selected. I strongly recommend using this whenever customizing frequency because it makes things work as most people would expect. Selecting a trap spawn rate of max will now spawn more traps. Fixed another bug around default starter and traps that prevented saved preferences from being applied.
- v2.4.3 Fixed a bug that prevented Kewne from being the default starter and the default trap settings from being applied.
- v2.4.2 Default options are now omitted from generated URLs.
- v2.4.1 Portable elevators can now be directly triggered by selecting "Use" from the Items menu.
- v2.4.0 Added GBC de-randomizer.